Wednesday 20 November 2013

10 favourite fall/winter nail colours

I will choose painting my own nails over getting a manicure the majority of my days. I have gotten a shellac manicure ONCE, and it looked amazing and flawless. But after 2 weeks I was getting an itch to change my nail polish (as I'm used to doing, even sooner usually) and was becoming frustrated with not being able to take it off easily (first world problems much?) And the last time I had a regular manicure done, it was not the most pleasant of experiences, as you would think it should be. After the lady literally scolded my hands in rubber gloves with burning hot wax, which was supposed to be "therapeutic" and make my hands soft for 3 days (I'd rather not be in pain during a therapeutic experience?), she did the sloppiest job painting my nails, I could have done better painting my nails with my toes. And of course, I can be frugal/like to save money when and where I can, SO rambling paragraph concluding... I like to paint my nails. So without further ado, here are my 10 favourite nail polishes from my collection, for the Fall and Winter seasons.
1. Essie "Very Cranberry"


If you can picture the real-life colour of cranberries, make it a creamier looking colour, and voila! I find it a nice variation to a more classic red, and more "colder weather" appropriate.


2. Essie "Big Spender"


The perfect blend of red & violet. I suppose it's on the verge of fuchsia, but this is warmer and a tad darker.


3. Essie "School of Hard Rocks"


A perfect combination of warm forest green with gray.


4. China Glaze "Bermuda Breakaway"


A very opaque and sophisticated royal blue.


5. Essie "Mezmerised"


Another royal blue, but lighter, softer, and more playful.


6. Revlon "Blue Slate"


A lighter blue, verging on the gray side. 
(Yes, I just love my blues.)


7. Essie "Over the Edge"


A metallic deep silver. My most recent purchase. Obsessed.


8. Essie "Chinchilly"


A soft granite gray.


9. Love & Beauty (Forever 21 brand) "Nude"


Exactly as the name says; it's a nude. But if you have skin that's more on the pale side like me, this colour is extremely flattering and doesn't look washed out. It has a hint of peachy-ness to it which I think is what makes it so wearable. Gotta have a good nude, year-round. And if you haven't felt forced to pick one of these up while waiting in line to pay at a Forever 21, you really need to try this brand. It is surprisingly pigmented, and they have a great selection of colours. And for only $3.80. Bargain!

10. Sephora by OPI, nameless nail polish (don't you just HATE that?)


But really, ANY nail polish with glitter. I have a few different ones with different coloured glitter, but thought this was the most appropriate for this time of year. You can literally never go wrong with glitter. Anything. But that's just my opinion.

AND a little tip for all you fellow bargain hunters; if you don't already do this, look for nailpolishes at Winners. They carry brands I haven't seen in any drugstores (at least where I live), such as Orly, Colour Club and China Glaze. And because it's Winners, everything is at least a few dollars cheaper, so who doesn't love that? I have also seen colours by Essie and OPI that are hard to find in other stores.


Happy painting :)








3 comments:

  1. I HATE NAMELESS NAIL POLISH.

    my faves right now are essie - bahama mama, essie - devil's chocolate, and opi black cherry. and classic black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I searched for "devil's chocolate" on essie's website but I only found "devil's advocate". Is that the one? Or is yours a limited edition or something? Loooove those super dark colours :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete