Saturday 5 January 2013

Pure Vanity

 A few months ago, I was privileged to receive a beautiful vanity from my Grandmother. It was in the house my grandparents inherited from family when I was very young, so the exact age of it is unknown. But it definitely has some years on it, and has aged gracefully. It is so old and gorgeous, as you can see in the picture, it even caves in slightly in the middle (which has apparently been like so for quite some time, but I will eventually fix up to make sure it lasts as long as possible). 


The lamp on the top is attached to it, and the stool is what has been used with it as far back as my Grandmother can remember. I can't even begin to tell you how much fun it is to sit at, along with completing my look every morning. I truly feel like princess, and if time allowed, I would sit at it all day long. I am going to share how I have decorated and organized everything in this delightful piece of furniture I now own. To start off, the standing mirror on the left side is from Winners, and has one regular mirror side, and a magnified side. 

I have 3 pots on there which, YES, are FLOWER POTS! My Mom works at Connon Nurseries in Burlington, Ontario, and when I found out I would be getting this vanity, her and I did a little shopping. My Mom is an amazing artist in her own right with quite an eye, and is always helping me with creative ideas, such as using flower pots for storage- something I wouldn't have thought of on my own. We found these 3 pretty ones we thought would be perfect.

The first one I use to hold eye products- mascara, eyeliners, primers.


The second one I use to hold my brushes, and in the bottom I put pea-sized glass balls I purchased from Michael's to help the brushes stand up straight.


The third one I use to hold lip glosses and lip liners.


This next little organizer, I purchased from Dollarama. It sits in the middle and holds every day face products- foundations, primers, setting spray, and a brush cleanser. 


The vanity also has 4 small drawers. They are the perfect size to fit my little makeup collection. All the plastic organizers are from Dollarama, and I found them in a couple different shapes and sizes.




The organizer on the left of this drawer is also from Dollarama, and is the same material as the one that holds my face products. It has 3 sections, and when I saw it I thought it would be perfect for holding lipsticks.


And last but not least, I thought it would be nice to add something non-storage related, and a little personal decorative touch. This is one of a few owls I have been collecting lately, and thought it really finished off the look I wanted.


If you love the vanity style, or are thinking of a way to create your own vanity, try looking at putting multiple pieces together instead of trying to find one piece. I have seen countless tables and mirrors put together that give the same look, and can be much more affordable. Get a table that is low enough that you can sit at and still see yourself in the mirror. Also make sure it isn't solid in the middle so you have room to slide yourself in. Find a mirror with a frame you love, and rest it on the back of your table, letting it lean against the wall. This will give that illusion of it being one piece. 

Here are a few DIY's I found on Pinterest:



Roomy Vanity

Painting a piece of old furniture can completely transform it and you have the freedom to pick colours and detailing. Same thing goes for mirrors. Also think of different things you can use for storage, and don't be afraid to check out discount stores. Just like furniture, when you use your creativity, you can make anything look however you please.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous vanity! Wish I had the time (and space) for one ;)

    Welcome to the world of blogging!! BTW, love the layout. Looking forward to reading more posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Haven't seen you in forever Johanne, hope you and your family are doing well! :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE that vanity! Also, I totes gave you a shout out on my blog! Thanks for inspiring me to write again, Shoe! Now post some damn quinoa recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay yay YAY! This is going to be fun :) And I will obvi have tonnes of delicious recipes!!

      Delete